Reading a write up on commercial games that have been open sourced I got reminded of how much I enjoyed playing the original SimCity back in the day. Since the post pointed out the source code of the Unix port I decided to download and try it out.
I downloaded, unpacked and tried to build the source:
$ curl -O http://www.donhopkins.com/home/micropolis/micropolis-activity-source.tgz $ tar -zxvf micropolis-activity-source.tgz $ cd micropolis-activity/src $ make
Unfortunately it didn't build cleanly on my system and I learned that I needed some additional lib and tools installed. I found a blog post about Compiling Micropolis on Ubuntu. Most of it was correct but freebsd5-buildutils are now named freebsd-buildutils. I also needed to install libxpm-dev:
$ sudo apt-get install freebsd-buildutils $ sudo apt-get install libxpm-dev
I didn't need to edit config.mk as mentioned in that post. After this I was able to build and run the game but saw the problem with tiles not being displayed correctly. So I downloaded and applied the patch mentioned in the post and re-build the source (from within the micropolis-activity directory):
$ cd .. $ curl -O http://rmdir.de/~michael/micropolis_git.patch $ patch -p1 < micropolis_git.path $ cd src $ make && make install
The install option installs the built binaries in the micropolis-activity/res directory. Now I could start the game from its root directory:
$ cd .. $ ./Micropolis
Yay! The hours just rushed by. I still enjoyed the game as much as I remembered. Wonderful!